Have you been coughing or sneezing a lot lately? Noticed that your heating and AC system is not as effective as it used to be? If you have checked that your HVAC equipment is in good condition, then the problem may lie with your air ducts. For many homeowners, their ductwork is out of sight, out of mind. But dirty air ducts can significantly impact your indoor air quality, and as your ducts wear down over time, they may experience leaks that can significantly impact your comfort. That’s why at EnviroSafe, we offer air duct installation for homes and businesses alike, so you always have clean, functional ductwork, designed to keep you comfortable year-round. Keep reading to learn the signs there’s a problem with your air ducts, and remember, our home comfort experts at EnviroSafe are always here to help improve your property.
7 Signs Your Ducts Need Cleaning or Replacement
- Rising Energy Costs: If you have noticed your energy bills steadily going up recently, a major contributing factor may be tears or blockages in your ductwork. If your ductwork is simply clogged up with dust, you may be able to keep it functional by simply having it cleaned. However, if your ductwork is significantly leaking air, you may need to replace at least a portion of your air ducts.
- Unbalanced Temperatures: Do you find that it is always too cold or too hot in certain rooms of your house? If this is the case in your home, the culprit could be an obstruction or leak in your ductwork. EnviroSafe can replace air ducts in attics, walls, basements, or beneath floorboards. Call an HVAC technician if you are experiencing uneven temperatures in your home, and see if you could benefit from having your ducts cleaned or replaced.
- Poor Air Quality: As mentioned above, one common symptom of ductwork problems is poor air quality. In some cases, simply having your ducts cleaned can solve this issue. However, if your ducts are being affected by more than dust, then you might need to consider a partial replacement. One thing in particular that can represent a challenge to your indoor air quality is…
- Musty Smells: Oftentimes, when you fire up your heating system at the beginning of winter, you will notice a musty odor in your air. This may just be because your heater is burning off dust that has accumulated throughout months of disuse. However, if this dusty smell continues, there’s a chance it’s because of something inside your air ducts. If the culprit is just a layer of dust and debris, you can probably get rid of it with a standard cleaning. However, if mold growth has started to occur in your ducts, you may need to consider a more significant replacement. Keep in mind that in addition to smelling bad, mold growth contributes to—
- Frequent Allergy & Respiratory Issues: Poor air quality and allergy/breathing problems go hand in hand. When your ducts are pumping dirty air around your house, chances are those that suffer from allergies, asthma, or other respiratory issues may start to experience more severe symptoms. That’s why for the health and well-being of these individuals, not to mention your entire household, duct replacement may be necessary.
- Pests: It can be hard to notice that pests have taken up residence in your air ducts—until it is too late. That’s why if you have noticed pests elsewhere in your home it’s never a bad idea to have your air ducts inspected. Cockroaches and other insects may be able to get cleaned out of your ductwork, though this should always be done ASAP, as roaches produce allergens that can affect your indoor air quality. When rodents chew their way into your ducts, however, a more significant replacement might be the only option. Again, it is important to watch out for these pests, as the last thing you want is to find that a rat has died in your air ducts, causing the smell of rot to spread around your property.
- Age: If your house is 15-years-old or older, you may want to consider calling for an air duct upgrade, or at least for an inspection to see if your ducts are in good condition. It is inevitable that your ducts will suffer a certain amount of wear and tear over time. Moreover, if you have updated your HVAC system over the years, there is even a chance that your old ducts are no longer a good fit for your equipment. In some homes, where the heating or AC unit is poorly sized from the beginning, you can go years with unbalanced temperatures and excessive energy bills, just because your ducts and your HVAC system are not compatible. For this reason, it never hurts to have our certified comfort professionals at EnviroSafe take a look at your ducts today.